Just as you would get an oil change and tune-up for your car before a big road trip, it’s best to get an AC Tune-Up before the heat waves start. When a technician inspects your air conditioning system, they ensure everything is working right and ready for summer.
During a service, a Star City expert will suggest any necessary repairs or upgrades to help prevent AC emergencies when the heat is sweltering. So think about scheduling your AC Tune-Up in the spring or early summer.
Refrigerant is the fluid inside your AC condenser that cools air passing through the system. When this fluid is too low, it can lead to an air conditioner that isn’t keeping you comfortable! Look for these signs to spot low refrigerant:
- Hissing or bubbling sounds from your AC unit.
- Ice is forming on refrigerant lines.
- Air is blowing, but it’s not cold.
Air conditioner tune-ups give our Comfort Techs a chance to check refrigerant levels. You don’t want to be caught without working AC on the hottest days! So help your cooling system with an annual tune-up.
Just like your vehicle, your air conditioner and home cooling system need routine maintenance and care to work efficiently. During an AC Tune-Up, a technician inspects and tests your AC equipment for health and performance.
Tune-ups and cooling maintenance are also great ways to prevent major repairs or damage from occurring. Our specialists get a chance to evaluate your AC and make recommendations for preventative measures that will save money down the road.
Yes, HVAC air filters must be replaced periodically to maintain peak performance. This should be done every 3 months. Dirty air filters slow airflow and reduce your air conditioner’s efficiency, and poor efficiency leads to higher energy bills!
If your air conditioning is not performing properly, checking for a dirty air filter is a good place to start. Our cooling experts supply you with a year’s worth of air filters and an Annual Tune-Up when you become a Star City VIP Member.
Getting to the bottom of an AC issue usually requires the help of a Star City expert. Our Comfort Techs run full diagnostics on your cooling system to determine the best way to get it working right.
But here are some things you can look for yourself when the cold air stops flowing. Check for the following while you’re waiting for one of our service techs:
- Make sure your thermostat is at the right temperature and set to COOL mode.
- Take a look at your AC filter. If it’s clogged or blocked, this can affect performance.
- When condenser coils are frozen, it can prevent them from properly cooling. If this is the case, turn off your air conditioner so the coils can thaw. Keep off until there is no visible ice or frost.
- Registers take air back into your AC system. If this area is blocked or covered, it can affect air temperature.
Older AC equipment constantly giving you headaches may be due for an upgrade. If your air conditioner is no longer under warranty, it’s worth considering a replacement. Ask the following questions when you’re deciding between AC repair and replacement:
- Is your air conditioner over 10 years old?
- Does your unit require frequent repairs?
- Are your energy bills climbing?
- Is it difficult to cool your entire home with your current AC?
At Star City Heating & Cooling, our pricing is ALWAYS upfront. Our AC technicians assess your broken air conditioner and help you decide on the best steps for keeping your home comfortable all summer.
Some AC repairs just can’t be avoided, especially if you have older equipment. But annual care and maintenance can reduce the risk of unforeseen problems. Annual Air Conditioner Tune-Ups allow our professionals to assess your home’s cooling system and recommend the best steps for comprehensive care.
Tune-ups not only prevent major AC repairs from occurring but also help increase the efficiency of your air conditioning system.
A surefire sign that your air conditioner is having trouble is when there’s no cold air. But other signs can mean something is wrong with your cooling system:
- Reduced airflow when your AC is turned on.
- Strange smells or odors (musty) when your AC is operating.
- Unusual or loud noises are coming from your air conditioner.
- Higher energy bills than usual.
- Difficulty maintaining a constant temperature in your home.
If you notice any of these symptoms, it’s worth calling Star City to have one of our cooling experts take a look.
No two AC installs are exactly the same. Several factors can affect an air conditioner installation. These include:
- The type of air conditioning we are installing: ductless mini-split or central AC.
- The quality of existing ductwork in your home and whether or not we are adding ductwork (for central AC systems).
- The size and space we are working with to install your central air conditioning. Cramped spaces can increase installation time.
- The size and model of your AC unit.
- Ease of access to the installation areas.
Star City comfort techs always do their best to give you an accurate quote on expected installation timelines. That said, many new AC installs can be completed within one day. But we’ll communicate expectations before your purchase.
The lifetime of any HVAC equipment is influenced by maintenance habits and the demands on the system. Your new air conditioner will always benefit from proper care and routine maintenance. Star City offers a 10-Year Equipment Guarantee on all air conditioners we install.
Our AC installations are completed with the utmost attention to detail and designed to maximize each model’s lifespan. New home cooling systems can last up to 15 years or more with annual tune-ups and proper care. Dealing with AC repairs swiftly is another way to help your cooling system last longer.