Research shows that people spend about 90% of their time indoors. Heating and cooling systems are the lungs of the home, and air flow is crucial to its efficiency and well-being. Today’s homes are better insulated and sealed which traps indoor pollutants, making indoor air up to five times unhealthier than the outdoors. Air filters play an integral role to ensure your air stays fresh and your heating and cooling system gets the amount of air it needs. Filters can increase your heating and cooling system’s efficiency, air quality, and longevity. They can also suffocate it by restricting it’s air flow; creating higher energy bills and more repairs. Yikes! Cleaning your air filter is the simplest way to increase your indoor air quality and prevent unnecessary wear and tear on your heating & cooling system.
Air Filter Considerations
Just like everything else, air filters come in various options. There are a few things to consider when selecting the right air filter for your health and lifestyle.
1. Time and Maintenance
Are you diligent about maintenance, or do you often forget, or put off home maintenance tasks? Outdoor elements and the type of traffic in and around your home determines the frequency of how often filters should be cleaned or replaced.
These three filter options are listed from highest to lowest in maintenance needs.
Standard 1 or 2-inch filters
- replace every 3-months- possibly more depending on the overall indoor environment.
- clean every 3-months, replace once a year
- Easily clean with a household vacuum
- Clean twice a year, replace once a year
Star City’s Maintenance includes replacing or cleaning your furnace and humidifier filters. VIP maintenance Plan Members also receive extra standard filters to use in between the seasonal maintenance appointments.
2. Indoor Air Quality Preference
What are your allergy levels and sensitivities?
Filters can make or break your indoor air quality. Filters left unchanged allow the air flow to push more pollutants back into the indoor air wreaking havoc on you or your family’s health. These three styles have various levels of air cleaning capabilities.
- Catch large particles of dust and dirt, but let the smaller ones pass through into your air.
- 15 times more effective than standard 1-inch filters at preventing allergens, dust, and mold.
- Most effective whole-house electronic filter.
- With three layers of filtration it captures 99.98% of pollutants as small as .1 microns.
- They are 100 times more effective than standard filters.
- Reduces dust by up to 50%
How much money are you willing to invest? If you want cleaner air, media filters and clean effects are the best investment to help you achieve quality indoor air. High quality filters also provide increased air flow creating a more efficient system that shaves money off your energy bills.
Standard 1 or 2-inch filters
- Relatively inexpensive due to lower quality
- Need to be changed at least every 3-months
- Left undone, it becomes as effective as a piece of cardboard
- 4 replacements are included with the VIP Maintenance Plan
- 4-inch thick, allowing a higher air flow and reducing energy costs
- Includes a metal case with 5-year warranty
- One replacement included with the VIP Maintenance Plan
- Investment in quality air and the HVAC system efficiency.
- No Replacement filters needed
Star City’s VIP Maintenance Plan includes four- 1 inch filters or one 4-inch media filter, a $24 value.
These are a few considerations to think about when trying to select the right air filter to supplement your home or office’s heating and cooling system. There are some physical considerations that need to be addressed before installing a different style of filter. If you would like to discuss which options may be best for you we would be happy to talk with you about this.