Star City’s VIP Maintenance Plan includes four standard filters or one 4-inch media filter,
a $40 value.
Air filters have always played a significant role with heating and cooling systems, but now the technology has been developed to also help improve indoor air quality. Since homes are now built to be better sealed and insulated, indoor air pollutants are trapped inside which creates an indoor environment five times more polluted than the outdoors. Trapped pollutants fill up the air filters and block the heating and cooling system’s needed air flow. Because of these building developments, the importance of air filters is more important now, than ever.
Clogged air filters are a common cause for your furnace or air conditioner to stop working. Cleaning or changing your air filter is the simplest and most effective way to increase your indoor air quality and prevent unnecessary wear and tear on your heating & cooling system. How often you change your air filters depend on their size, technology, and the environment. Filters can be as low maintenance and as high tech as you need them to be. Continue reading to help you decide if a filter system upgrade is necessary and which one may be the best fit for you.
Indoor air has been found to have up to 70 times greater pollutant levels than outdoor air.
What to Consider When Selecting an Air Filter
Some filters are easier to use than others, while some are better at reducing dust and allergens. To select the right furnace filter, consider your lifestyle, time management, and budget. The following checklist will help you decide if you need a different style of filter for your home.
- What is your home environment like?
- Do you have pets that shed?
- How much dirt and dust are tracked in?
- Is there on-going construction in or around your home or neighborhood?
- Do you frequently need to dust or vacuum?
- Would you like to reduce allergies and improve your air quality?
- The higher the MERV rating the higher of filtration levels.
- Do you spend the majority of your time indoors?
- Indoor air has been found to have up to 70 times greater pollutant levels than outdoor air.
If you find any of these questions important and would like to improve in these areas, consider an upgrade to a Trane CleanEffects or a 4-inch media filter . For the ultimate air quality enhancer, check out our AirScrubber page. The Air Scrubber can clean your air and surfaces in a matter of 30 minutes!
- How busy are you?
- Filters need changed more frequently than others. This depends on the size and type of filter.
- How often do you prefer to clean and change filters?
- Standard filters need changed every three months or more.
- Depending on the environment, 4 inch filters and Trane CleanEffects typically last about one year.
- Do you regularly track home maintenance needs?
- Changing your filter is vital to help your heating and air system run at it’s highest level.
- Fill out the form to the right to request reminders to change your filter.
- How much money are you willing to invest in filters?
- Financing is available to help you upgrade to a higher quality filter system.
- The expense can be in the upfront cost of installation.
- VIP Maintenance includes a yearly supply of filters- up to a $40 value.
- How much are you spending on allergy treatments or medicine?
- Reducing allergens in your home may help reduce medicine frequency.
Types Of Filters
Here is a list of the most common filters offered. If you have more questions about how much filters are, what the installation process is like, or how to change a filter, our professional team at Star City Heating and Cooling is able to help answer these questions. Call us today about your home’s heating and cooling filter or air quality concerns.
Standard store bought air conditioner or furnace filters are typically very dense. Meaning they have fewer amount of pores than higher grade commercial filters. This means the dust that is trapped will clog the pores quicker and easier than in a more porous filter. When the filter’s pores become full of dust, dirt, and allergens, the pores are unable to collect any more of these invaders and the air flow becomes restricted. When the air is blocked from dirty and impacted filters a lot of damage is done to the heating and cooling system. And since the heating and cooling system are the lungs of your home, air flow is crucial to its efficiency and well-being. When the air flow is restricted you are slowly suffocating your home’s furnace and air conditioner. Yikes!
1-inch standard filters are relatively inexpensive but need to be changed more frequently. They do not provide the amount of allergen blockers as the following, but they serve the basic purpose of catching large particles of dust and particles.
To keep your air flow abundant, and repair needs down, standard air filters should be replaced at least every three months.
Media filters are washable and are 15 times more effective at preventing allergens, dust, and mold than standard
1-inch filters. A metal frame encases these high efficiency filters and come with a five-year warranty. Media filters are four inches thick, which allows more collection cells and increased air flow. As explained earlier, the increased air flow increases the efficiency of your furnace and air conditioning system.
Media filters need to be replaced once a year, but should be cleaned at least every three months.
To get the most of these filters you HAVE to remember to clean the filters at least every three months, or in between a Star City Heating and Cooling Maintenance Service to ensure they stay clean and efficient.
Trane Clean Effects is the most effective whole-house electronic filter. It captures 99.98 percent of bacteria, viruses, and airborne allergens as small as .1 microns. It has eight times the collection surface compared to other electronic filters.
Compared to standard one inch filters, this is 100 times more effective.
How Trane CleanEffects Works
- First, the pre-filter system traps the majority of the large airborne particles
- Second, it electrically charges the smaller particles as the air passes through the electrical fields
- Third, tt collects the smallest particles with alternating charges in the collection fields as they pass through
CleanEffects Maintenance Needs
Trane CleanEffects is the lowest maintenance of these three furnace filters. The filters only need to be cleaned about twice a year, and replaced once a year. With collection cells that can be easily vacuumed to be made like new the cleaning can be easily vacuumed out yourself, or done during a VIP Maintenance appointment by one of our professional maintenance technicians. Outdoor elements and the type of traffic in and around your home determines the frequency of how often filters should be cleaned or replaced.
Filters can make or break your indoor air quality. If you are deciding which would be best for you and your home, call to speak with one of our experts today!
About 87% of homeowners are unaware of indoor air pollution.